Tanuki (狸) is the name of the Japanese raccoon dog, a significant animal in Japanese folklore and art. In the West, they are often incorrectly called raccoons, but the tanuki is a different species. Once thought to be evil, they are now portrayed as being mischievous, jolly shapeshifters with eight special traits that bring good fortune. Tanuki statues can be found outside of many bars and restaurants to draw customers in, similar to a maneki neko. In popular culture, tanuki make appearances in games such as Super Mario Bros. (Tanooki Suit), Animal Crossing (Tom Nook), and in the Studio Ghibli film Pom Poko.
Available in two sizes. Frame not included.
- Material: Mohawk Superfine Ultrawhite Eggshell 270gsm acid-free card from GF Smith
- Printing process: Archival giclee pigment ink
- Origin: Printed and hand-cut in Nottingham, United Kingdom
Delivery times & prices
We ship worldwide. 日本へ国際郵便で送ります。
- UK deliveries: 3-4 working days via Royal Mail 1st class
- International deliveries available via Royal Mail International Standard Airmail
- Prices calculated during checkout
For more information on shipping times for international deliveries, please check the delivery & returns page.
Due to travel arrangements, I will be shipping these prints around August 18, 2017.