Sakura (桜) is the name of the Japanese cherry blossom, a flower that is deeply symbolic to the people of Japan. Their delicate beauty, brief blooming period, and volatility of the blossoms is an enduring metaphor of the nature of life and mortality. Every Spring, the Japanese Meteorological Agency tracks the “cherry blossom front” as it moves north across the country and is closely followed by the public. When full bloom occurs, “hanami” viewing parties are held in parks where spectators picnic and drink under the trees. The practice is centuries-old and is said to have started in the Nara period (710-794). The most prominent variety of sakura in Japan is the Somei Yoshino, with almost-white petals accented by pale pink near the stems.
Available in two sizes. Frame not included.
- Material: Mohawk Superfine Ultrawhite Eggshell 270gsm acid-free card from GF Smith
- Printing process: Archival giclee pigment ink
- Origin: Printed and hand-cut in Nottingham, United Kingdom
Delivery times & prices
We ship worldwide. 日本へ国際郵便で送ります。
- UK deliveries: 3-4 working days via Royal Mail 1st class
- International deliveries available via Royal Mail International Standard Airmail
- Prices calculated during checkout
For more information on shipping times for international deliveries, please check the delivery & returns page.
Due to travel arrangements, I will be shipping these prints around August 18, 2017.