Hagoita (羽子板) are rectangular paddles made of wood originally intended to be used in the game of “hanetsuki,” a form of badminton without a net. Today, the paddles serve a more decorative purpose and are covered in complex three-dimensional silk collages, usually of Kabuki actors. The game of hanetsuki is popular during New Year’s as the motion of the hagoita is thought to be effective to drive away evil spirits.
Available in two sizes. Frame not included.
- Material: Mohawk Superfine Ultrawhite Eggshell 270gsm acid-free card from GF Smith
- Printing process: Archival giclee pigment ink
- Origin: Printed and hand-cut in Nottingham, United Kingdom
Delivery times & prices
We ship worldwide. 日本へ国際郵便で送ります。
- UK deliveries: 3-4 working days via Royal Mail 1st class
- International deliveries available via Royal Mail International Standard Airmail
- Prices calculated during checkout
For more information on shipping times for international deliveries, please check the delivery & returns page.
Due to travel arrangements, I will be shipping these prints around August 18, 2017.