Daruma (達磨) is a round and hollow traditional Japanese doll modelled after the founder of Zen Buddhism, Bodhidharma. The daruma is full of symbolism associated with perseverance and good luck. When sold, the daruma has two blank eyes. The first eye is drawn in by the owner when a goal is set, and the second eye is filled in when the goal is achieved. Additionally, daruma dolls have weighted bases that help the doll return to an upright position if tipped over, reflected by the phrase “七転び八起き” — “seven times down, eight times up.” Traditionally daruma dolls are red, but now come in a variety of colours.
Available in two sizes. Frame not included.
- Material: Mohawk Superfine Ultrawhite Eggshell 270gsm acid-free card from GF Smith
- Printing process: Archival giclee pigment ink
- Origin: Printed and hand-cut in Nottingham, United Kingdom
Delivery times & prices
We ship worldwide. 日本へ国際郵便で送ります。
- UK deliveries: 3-4 working days via Royal Mail 1st class
- International deliveries available via Royal Mail International Standard Airmail
- Prices calculated during checkout
For more information on shipping times for international deliveries, please check the delivery & returns page.
Due to travel arrangements, I will be shipping these prints around August 18, 2017.